[scribus] EOL interpreted as end of paragraph.

john Culleton John at wexfordpress.com
Mon Apr 2 17:06:44 UTC 2012

On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 22:59:46 +0200
Jean Ghali <jghali at libertysurf.fr> wrote:

> Unicode has defined non ambiguous and portable characters to use as
> line and paragraph separator :
> - line separator : 0x2028
> (http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/2028/index.htm)
> - paragraph separator : 0x2029
> (http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/2029/index.htm)
>
> In gvim case it should be using 0x2028 character and not the carriage
> return.
>
> > if I delete all EOL markers in Gvim then Gvim
> > will still wrap the lines visually but may divide lines in the
> > middle of a word to accomplish the visual wrap. That's a bit clumsy.
>
> This only underlines gvim uses a basic and non unicode compliant line
> breaking algorithm.
>

> > HTML does not so interpret an EOL for example. And the blank line
> > convention is followed when typing emails.
>
> For HTML line feed and carriage-return are equivalent to a space. But
> this is specific to HTML. As most mail programs implement unicode
> line breaking algorithm, text wraps without problems.

I inquired on the Gvim list and here is part of the reply I
received:
---------------------------------
The characters used for end-of-line markers are all ASCII characters
and are in the range of characters whose codes are common to all
character sets (as I understand it) including latin1, ISO-8859-x,
and UTF-8.

Changing to UTF-8 is not going to change the way Vim saves
end-of-line markers.

I'll experiment with UTF-8 in Gvim and see what really happens.
John Culleton
Free list of books for self-publishers:
http://wexfordpress.net/shortlist.html
Police Procedural and Expose: "Death Wore Black"
"Create Book Covers with Scribus"
http://www.booklocker.com/books/4055.html