[scribus] Question

S C ribus id746-scribus at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Sep 28 12:15:06 UTC 2011

>>> I have to agree heartily. It would be very useful. Every other layout
>>> program can do this. Tragically, I am unable to write code, but at
>>> least I can cheer the effort on.
>
>> you could write a list of variables needed... maybe separated by
>> category...
>
> What are variables?

Scribus treats this special '#' that you  enter as a variable, ie, no
particular number, but dependent on what  page it is on. Every time you
use '#' on a given page it will show the same number, whatever that is.
It's also indexed to whatever numbering scheme(s) you might use.
If it were even more flexible, you might be able to put '#+2' to
substitute the current page number plus 2.

Greg

******
While I personally have no use for the feature, I am wondering if transforming this # into a variable could work. For example each image and text frame probably already stores the page it appears on in its properties. This variable could become #(frame123). By default # would read its own value, but when specified would read the value of the item indicated. It would then be easy for the user to copy/paste the reference of the text frame into the (variable) space.