[scribus] Question

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Tue Sep 27 15:56:22 UTC 2011

On Tue, 27 Sep 2011 17:06:07 +0200
"a.l.e" <ale.comp_06 at xox.ch> dijo:

>>> This is something that eventually would be nice to have within
>>> Scribus proper, by treating the '#' as a more useful variable.

>> I have to agree heartily. It would be very useful. Every other layout
>> program can do this. Tragically, I am unable to write code, but at
>> least I can cheer the effort on.

>you could write a list of variables needed... maybe separated by
>category...

What are variables?

I can offer how the InDesign user interface works (not that there is any
reason to copy their design). It's been a long time since I actually
used InDesign for a project but, if I recall correctly, it was a
feature of the "story." When you selected it you could choose the
text you wanted before the #, e.g., "Continued on page" or "Go to
page" or whatever. When finished the text and # appeared within the
frames at the very end, right justified. The text reflowed within the
frames so the last line moved to the next frame to make room for the #
and text.

Scribus doesn't treat the story as an object that can have features, so
perhaps it would make more sense to make it a property of the frame.