[scribus] Tutorial

john Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Tue Sep 27 12:58:01 UTC 2011

On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 23:30:57 -0500
Dale Erwin <dale at casaerwin.org> wrote:

> On 9/14/2011 8:21 AM, john Culleton wrote:
> > On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 16:34:36 -0500
> > Dale Erwin<dale at casaerwin.org>  wrote:
> >
> >> I am brand new to Scribus (ver. 1.3.3.14 under WinXP SP2) and have
> >> been trying to go thru the tutorial for beginners to acquaint
> >> myself with the program.
> >>
> >> I didn't get too far before a problem arose.  I defined the first
> >> page according to the instructions OK, but when trying to insert
> >> the image frame for the cover photo, in the properties box, I enter
> >> well, then when I enter Height: 280.000 mm and when I tab out of
> >> this field the Width is changed by the program to 208.855 mm.
> >>
> >> There is no mention of this in the tutorial and subsequent images
> >> in the tutorial continue to show that Properties box with the
> >> 210.000 and 280.000 dimensions.
> >>
> >> Thinking I may have done something wrong and not being very far
> >> into the tutorial, I deleted the entire thing and started anew
> >> with the same results.  What have I done wrong?
> >>

> > Can't address this problem directly. But the so-called "stable"
> > version you are using is years obsolete and no one is working on
> > it. Any defects it has it has forever. The version 1.4.0rc5 is what
> > most of us are using. Some users still prefer earlier developmental
> > versions in the series 1.3.5 through 1.3.9.
> >
> > Here is a quote from the Scribus download web page:
> > --------------------------------------
> > Current developmental version is 1.4.0 RC5. This is the fifth
> > release candidate for the 1.4.0 version. It's sufficiently stable
> > for many people to run in production environments, but beware of
> > bugs that might still be there. Report any problems in our bug
> > tracking system. -------------------------------
> > It is in fact the new stable in everything but name. I suggest you
> > move up to it. Then if a problem occurs someone can assist you
> > better.
> >
> > I use two versions: 1.4.0RC 5 and 1.5.0. The latter has one feature
> > I must have for my work, the output of a document in PDF X/1-a:2001
> > format. I develop in 1.4.0 RC5 and then load the sla file in 1.5.0
> > for the final file creation.
> >

> I have now installed 1.4.0 RC5 but now I find that things have
> changed and the tutorial doesn't always fit this version.
>
> What is the best way to go about learning how to use Scribus?  Is
> there a tutorial based on ver. 1.4.0RC5?

Well, someone will have to volunteer to write one. If the current svn
version were released as Scribus 1.4.0 then people would be more
motivated to create documentation for it. The flash screen for my svn
copy shows a date of September 18, so work is still being done. But not
yesterday.

When people download the precompiled version of rc5 does it also show
Sept 18 on the flash screen?  Just curious.

--
John Culleton
Wexford Press