[scribus] Getting CMYK colors from Inkscape to Scribus

john Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Fri Sep 23 12:45:29 UTC 2011

On Fri, 23 Sep 2011 09:24:31 +0400
Alexandre Prokoudine <alexandre.prokoudine at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Apparently not many people know that Scribus has a special case for
> CMYK ICC profiles assigned to SVG documents for extracting correct
> CMYK values from SVG. I had this article in drafts quite a long time,
> and given rasiing popularity of the "How do I print color separated
> PDF from Inkscape?" question polished it and kicked it out:
>
> http://libregraphicsworld.org/articles.php?article_id=43
>
> Enjoy :)
>
> There is another workaround which is an Inkscape extension that
> rasterizes everything, then passes it through ImageMagick for
> colorseparation, but IMO it's a rather terrible way to do things. I
> don't feel justified promoting it. OTOH, CMYKTIFF extension from same
> developer makes sense, except you don't get live softproofing like the
> one you can get with CMYKTool.
>
> Alexandre Prokoudine
> http://libregraphicsworld.org
>
> ___
> Edit your options or unsubscribe:
> See also:
> http://wiki.scribus.net
> http://forums.scribus.net

Very interesting. Does the technique in this article actually produce
a CMYK document out of Inkscape or does it just produce an RGB document
limited to the CMYK gamut?

I agree to the thumbs down on ImageMagick for this app. The idea is to
keep the vector nature of Inkscape output while saving in PDF.

Scribus 1.5.0 is the only Open Source program that produces PDF
X/1-a:2001 output, a requirement of certain printers.

--
John Culleton
Wexford Press