[scribus] Three questions and a suggestion

Julian Robbins julian.robbins at q-par.com
Sun Sep 18 17:58:44 UTC 2011

Hi Ian
> On 17/09/2011 16:34, John Culleton wrote:
>> >  If your document is intended for web reading then setting up Scribus
>> >  that way will significantly reduce the file size.
> I produce using Scribus 1.4.0 RC5, My number of pages are between 30 and
> 50 each month with photos, and it is A4 size in colour. My 'Max Image
> Resolution' is set to 100dpi and my Compression Method is set to
> 'Automatic' and Quality to 'Maximum'.
>
> Last month's issue came out at around 30Mb - after the 'pdftops'&
> 'ps2pdf' conversion the file size was just under 3Mb!! This is what is
> available for the Members to download from my Server. (Many of the
> Members are in Africa where Bandwith is a problem and Net speed dismal!!)

Images tend to make up the bulk of a pdf if it has images within.
Reducing to 72dpi, will reduce size quite a bit, and you won't lose much
resolution when viewing on a monitor as opposed to printing out.

You are correct in what you say about the compress newsletter script
losing pdf links. I tried it years ago, with same problem. I don't use
links in my PDF's now so its not a problem for me.

The postscript conversion is quite an invasive one. It does change
everything about the file, and I guess the hot links need to be somehow
ignored during the compression script. I'm not so sure how easy this
would be, even if its possible.

It may be worth trying some other kind of conversion, there may be PDF
compression utilities on the web that do much the same thing that may
possibly not screw up the links within. You could also try printing to
PS from a PDF reader, and then convert the PS back again with Ghostview.

Or, somehow get a copy of Adobe Acrobat or likewise (??) ;-( ), FoxIt
Pro; I know Acrobat can compress Scribus PDF's really well. Whether it
messes with the links I don't know, but I doubt it.

Julian