[scribus] latest version for Linux Ubuntu

john Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Fri Sep 16 13:24:53 UTC 2011

On Fri, 16 Sep 2011 09:23:19 +0200
"a.l.e" <ale.comp_06 at xox.ch> wrote:

> hi
>
> > -----------------------
> > cd /usr/local/src/s140
> > rm -r *
> > cd ../
> > svn co svn://scribus.net/branches/Version135/Scribus s140
> > cd s140
> > cmake . -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX:PATH=/usr/local/scribus4_svn
> > make
> > make install
> > cd scribus
> > ls -l scribus
> > rm /usr/local/bin/scrib4
> > ln scribus /usr/local/bin/scrib4
> > -----------------------------------
> > This bypasses the Ubuntu update system.
>
> after having read about the most painful way to get scribus 1.4 on
> your ubuntu system, you may be interested in one which is a bit
> longer, but certainly easier and on the safe side of life:
>
> http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Ubuntu
>
> in short: add the scribus own repository to your list and the latest
> scribus 1.4 will show up in your apps store
>
> ciao
> a.l.e

But not really the latest version I'll wager.

In my daily tracking of Scribus 1.4.0 RC5 I note that the size of the
file has grown from 13363546 to 13365914. The splash screen still
carries the date of August 11 but this is misleading. When the file size
changes overnight then changes have been made. So Scribus 1.4.0 RC5 is
still a work in progress. If your Linux version does not have a file
size of 13365914 then you don't have the latest as of 4.40 AM today.

Nevertheless to me it would make sense to declare the current 1.4.0
stable at the present point and then continue to improve the code, fix
bugs etc. under the name of 1.4.1. That will put the tired old bones of
1.3.3.14 to rest for once and for all. Too many newcomers to Scribus
are using 1.3.3.14 and finding difficulties. The bulk of experienced
users have moved on. Thus the core of people able to help the newcomers
is diminishing. We would be doing those new folks a kindness if we
declared some more modern version as stable. The download site hints at
that but too many newcomers view the word "stable" as guaranteeing more
virtue than 1.3.3.14 offers. 1.4.0 is of course imperfect but
(almost) all software is imperfect, including of course 1.3.3.14.

The only significant application program proved correct by an inductive
method was the original TeX of decades ago. Donald Knuth offered a cash
prize for each bug found. With each find that prize doubled. No prizes
have been paid for a long, long time. But TeX itself has moved on, with
Xetex, Luatex, Context, and other pdf producing variants taking center
stage. And yes, there are bugs in these newer versions.

Scribus is advancing rapidly, and there is still considerable room
for more development. I see little point in steering newcomers to a
version that is 15 months old and has no current bug fixing effort. We
are not doing them a kindness.

--
John Culleton
Wexford Press