[scribus] latest version for Linux Ubuntu

john Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Thu Sep 15 20:59:28 UTC 2011

On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 21:28:01 +0100
Maitiú Ó Murchú <mpomsj at gmail.com> wrote:

> Is  version 1.4.0RC 5 available for download to Linux Ubuntu?  It
> does not appear in the App Store.
>
> Gragán

I use an overnight cron script to update every night. It runs the
following script which resides in /usr/local:

-----------------------
cd /usr/local/src/s140
rm -r *
cd ../
svn co svn://scribus.net/branches/Version135/Scribus s140
cd s140
cmake . -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX:PATH=/usr/local/scribus4_svn
make
make install
cd scribus
ls -l scribus
rm /usr/local/bin/scrib4
ln scribus /usr/local/bin/scrib4
-----------------------------------
This bypasses the Ubuntu update system.

You have to create a directory /usr/local/src/s140 of course.
And you may have to add some other tools first  such as gcc, cmake and
svn. They all come standard with a Slackware Linux distro so I can't
give you an exact list. But the Debian folk can clue you in. I think
apt-get -i build-essential
is the first step.

Or you can just wait for the Ubuntu folk to get around to rc5. I have
been using Slackware since the mid 1990's so I am in habit of compiling
my own.

Slán

--
John Culleton