[scribus] Two queries

john Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Sat Sep 3 23:37:17 UTC 2011

On Sat, 03 Sep 2011 17:45:16 +0100
"Davies, Stephen" <dragoman at talktalk.net> wrote:

> Am enjoying betting to grips with Scribus: however, I have a couple
> of queries. can anybody help?
>
> 1: Is there a way of starting page numbers part-way into a
> publication? At present I have made a master-page for prelims which
> has no page numbers. However, the first page which bears a number
> appears as '3', not '1', which I would have preferred.
>
> 2: I don't seem able to find a way of 'keeping lines together', in
> order to prevent a paragraph breaking across pages. Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks
>
> Stephen

These are two of the reasons I still use TeX for booklength documents.
But try this on for size:
1. Create Document a for the frontmatter.

2. Using the same specs except for page numbers create document b
starting with page one.

Merge the two pdfs with your favorite merge program.

Keeping paragraphs from breaking across page boundaries is probably
going to be a manual operation. But it isn't really necessary. All you
really need to look out for are widows and orphans. There is a single
character you can access in the Story Editor that is found here:
Insert->space-> Frame break. That forces a new page.

Both solutions are ugly but they work.

--
John Culleton
Wexford Press