[scribus] 1.4.0 RC5 can't type name of file on first save

john Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Sat Sep 3 23:24:07 UTC 2011

On Sat, 3 Sep 2011 11:54:01 -0700
John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 03 Sep 2011 12:11:15 -0400
> Gregory Pittman <gregp_ky at yahoo.com> dijo:
>
> >> I should have mentioned that I a using Gnome 2.32.0.
> >>
> >> I wonder what is causing the problem. I have used Scribus for a
> >> long time and never had this before, but just now I am using 1.4.0
> >> RC5 for the first time. I installed it from Dan Horak's
> >> repository. The About screen says:
> >>
> >> Scribus Version 1.4.0.rc5
> >> Build ID: C-C-T-F-C1.10.2-64bit
> >> Using Ghostscript version 8.71
> >>
> >> Before installing RC5 I used 1.3.9 and did not have this issue, so
> >> it must have come in between 1.3.9 and 1.4.0 RC5.
> >>
> >> No point in creating a bug report if no one can reproduce it.
>
> >Did you try Save As... ?
>
> Yes, but I still could not type in the dialog box. Meanwhile I could
> type anywhere else on my computer, and anywhere else in Scribus.
>
> However, for the present project I needed to create three documents.
> The problem occurred with the first two, but when I went to create the
> third one the dialog box worked fine. Subsequently I tried creating
> several more new documents and I was always able to type the name of
> the file in the dialog box.
>
> So it appears to be "fixed." The only problem is satisfying my
> curiosity about what caused it.

AS it happens not all files labeled RC5 are created equal. Even dates
are not an absolute guide. Changes are being made almost nightly. Given
that, why are you using an old version of RC5? The latest I have is
dated Aug 11. I download nightly and this version has remained the same
for at least the last two nights :<). But I am quite sure it is not the
same product as your RC5.

--
John Culleton
Wexford Press