[scribus] How to print guides, empty image frames and other internal indications ?

Louis Desjardins louis.desjardins at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 15:55:20 UTC 2011

2011/9/1 Gregory Pittman <gregp_ky at yahoo.com>

> On 09/01/2011 09:11 AM, Mike Sleger wrote:
>
>  This is the approach I would take with a script, in case it helps spark
>> some other ideas for you.
>>
>> - Create a layer in the document for all the non-printing items (if the
>> layer doesn't already exist).  If the layer already exists and is not empty,
>> delete everything on the layer (perhaps with a user confirmation dialog).
>>
>> - On this layer, add lines for all margins and guides.  Also loop through
>> all frames and draw a rectangle shape for each frame (shouldn't matter if
>> it's empty or not).  Each component would be represented in a different
>> color, same as the on-screen display in Scribus.
>>
>> The data on this layer is "static", meaning it won't automatically reflect
>> changes to the document (such as moving guides or frames on the page).  So
>> the script gets re-run as needed, which is why the layer gets cleared if it
>> already exists.  A GUI could also allow the user to select (through
>> checkboxes) which components to include on the layer (margins, guides,
>> frames).
>>

> I think all the original poster wanted was to show the hidden items, so
> duplicating all the content I think would create a visual mess.
>
> Even with the possibility of all this scripting, an (easier?) alternative
> might be to do Collect for Output and share the SLA file and let someone
> view it in Scribus...
> This way they could turn on/off the viewing of guides/margins as they
> desired.

Hi guys !

Interesting discussion.

I think that there is a need for this in the early stages of document
layout.

I had the idea long ago that we should be able so scan a sketch and the DTP
app would create the master page from that scan, if we use the right
conventions, ie rectangles are text frames and rectangles with a cross are
an image frame.

Back to the actual topic, the script showing what's on the selected page
allows users to actually see and print just what they want. So I think it
can be pretty useful and it was not so longish to solve as far as I can
tell.

I did not test the script but does it draw the cross in image frames?

Cheers!

Louis