[scribus] Fwd: Improve typographic rule support

Rolf-Werner Eilert eilert-sprachen at t-online.de
Fri Oct 28 16:41:59 UTC 2011

Am 28.10.2011 07:18, schrieb Alexandre Prokoudine:

>>> I have added a comment to an existing bug and a .ui file that I
>>> believe would be one way of making Scribus work better for users and
>>> help achieve a smoother typographic color. Please let me know what
>>> you think and if this is implementable.
>>
>> The Merriam-Webster Dictionary says announc-ing. Sorry.
>>
>> It is very easy in TeX to specify the hyphenation points of a word not
>> found in the hyphenation dictionary. It is also easy to set in
>> advance the minimum length of a hyphenated word-half, pre and post
>> hyphen. Deliberately in my example I did not use these features, any
>> more than I used manual kerning, forced line breaks etc. I really
>> don't have time to go through every issue. Read the TeXBook.
>>
>> TeX is not perfect. But for basic typesetting it is better than all
>> the rest.
>
> John,
>
> Hypenation in Scribus (as well as in OpenOffice.org/LibreOffice) is
> based on libhnj which comes from TeX. It uses TeX hyhenation tables.
> And I've actually heard complaints about the Russian one not being
> good enough which leads to lots of manual tweaking. Noone bothers to
> fix it though.
>
> Alexandre Prokoudine
> http://libregraphicsworld.org

Do you know if it's possible to add to these tables or overwrite them?
It might be worth creating an "add to my hyphenation" button in Scribus
to enable users to correct misspelled words and store this for the
future. Maybe even a community-wide approach would be great, some "let
the world benefit" button (Am I the first one with this idea? I should
file a patent...) :-)

Rolf