[scribus] Fwd: Improve typographic rule support

a.l.e ale.comp_06 at xox.ch
Thu Oct 27 08:53:49 UTC 2011

hi

> > In Tex and InDesign the entire paragraph is considered before any
> > line breaking, hyphenation and word spacing decisions are made.
>
> Do you have any proof that Tex and InDesign are working in that
> manner? I mean good commented source code.
> At least some explanation of typography design from developers, where
> they say that T or ID work in that manner.
>
> You know... if I wouldn’t read C++ code, you could say same about
> Scribus to me and I must believe.

wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TeX

saiz

"""
TeX's line breaking algorithm has been adopted by several other
programs, such as Adobe InDesign (a desktop publishing application)[19]
and the GNU fmt Unix command line utility.[20]
"""

andreas cuold tell us if scribus does the same... i know that there
were plans for it, but i don't know if they were implemented.

in http://typophile.com/node/76375 , charles_e gives some more insight
in the topic which is bothering us...

"""
First off, I don't know LaTex. We used our own implementation of TeX
for 20 years, which, like LaTeX, was based on plain TeX. Anytime you
add macros to plain TeX, as LaTeX does, you up the work for someone who
doesn't use your particular implementation. So I don't really know
LaTeX.

With that caveat, TeX sets better text type than InDesign. Just one
example: InDesign's line-breaking algorithm is not quite as good as
what TeX uses, but takes up less memory. That was the basis for the
patent Adobe got. TeX isn't WYSIAYG. The control is unbelieveable, but
so too can be the amount of work needed to exercise that control.

Practically speaking, TeX is less good with embellishments. I'd hate to
use it to set a popular magazine or advertisements -- or for that
matter, a high school text book as such have developed in the States --
all pictures, tints, sidebars, etc. If that's the kind of book it is,
you'd be right to move it to InDesign.

But if it isn't, if it's a science book along the lines of a monograph,
what you might consider is doing the design with whatever system you're
comfortable with, then have it set by a compositor who uses LaTeX.
"""

ciao
a.l.e