[scribus] Fwd: Improve typographic rule support

Czarek czarek at oferuje.pl
Mon Oct 24 10:00:17 UTC 2011

Discuse from other place:
>> Personally I would like to change way how Scribus justify lines of text
>> when text don`t feet line width and large spaces are inserted in line.
>> In other layouting apps I saw option for set maximum space width and
> maximum glyphs kerning loose if calculated space width is above maximum
value.
> It works similar to current glyph extension feature, but for me it
> creates better formatted lines as glyphs are not extended but kerning is
> looser.
> I think combining the two methods (loosing kerning and glyph extension)
> should give users best possible method to avoid appearing of large wide
> spaces.
>
>cezaryece

>I hate automatic character spacing. If you limit it to 5% it will not help
> more than glyph stretching and if you allow more, it's most ugly.

Yes, but significantly limit places where it is unacceptable. And character
spacing looks much better for me than 5% glyph extension.
And in preflight verifier should be warning (as switch-able option) for exceeded
maximum space width.

For me extending glyphs is just ugly option at all, for you increasing char
spacing is ugly - maybe there should be both methods used at once.
Effect will be stronger with smaller visual impact.

>IMO the correct behaviour for formatting lines when a maximum space
> limit is exceeded would be to break inside a word
> even if there is no recommended break position.
>
>/Andreas

And for me that behaviour is not acceptable - automation wouldn’t create
formatting errors like wrong hyphenation point!!!
But maybe remove hyphenation from last word of previous line would be correct
and helpful.

cezaryece