[scribus] Announce: Scribus 1.4.0 RC6 Release

john Culleton John at wexfordpress.com
Thu Oct 20 16:00:22 UTC 2011

On Thu, 20 Oct 2011 13:19:16 +0400
Alexandre Prokoudine <alexandre.prokoudine at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 12:49 PM, ale rimoldi wrote:
> > hi mike,
> >

> 3. We really don't like the way John Culleton works.
>
> *sigh*

As it happens John Culleton likes the way that John Culleton works. It
is my guesstimate that each successive iteration of the software will
contain bug fixes and/or new features. And there may be new bugs as
unexpected side effects. That is to be expected. My experience in using
the latest 1.4.0 svn has been completely positive and my experience
using 1.5.0 mostly positive. If/when things do go wrong I don't berate
the maintainers. My only complaint has been the steering of newcomers
to a very obsolete version, that still has some problems and has no
support. That problem is now fixed.

Previously I was using 1.4.0 (latest update) and then loading the file
in 1.5.0 just to get the PDF X/1-a:2001 format but over the last week I
did a book cover from start to finish in 1.5.0. There was one feature
that seemed not to work but maybe that was my lack of knowledge.

I congratulate the powers that be for indicating on the download
page that 1.4.0 RC something or other is the most practical course for
most users. That should lessen the posts of those newcomers who use
1.3.3.14 in the mistaken belief that it is the best choice.

And I don't suggest that others follow my svn overnight route. Now that
1.4.0 RCx is recommended most people should use that version from the
download page. No problem there. But 1.3.3.14 should be given a
respectful burial.

And of course my thanks to all the maintainers for their work and their
assistance over the years.
--
John Culleton
Free list of books for self-publishers: