[scribus] Announce: Scribus 1.4.0 RC6 Release

Mike Sleger chappa-ai at q.com
Thu Oct 20 13:43:10 UTC 2011

On Oct 20, 2011, at 7:32 AM, ale rimoldi wrote:

> hi mike
>
>> If the text shift is permanent due to a bug fix, I should think then
>> some talented person might offer a script to "repair" the "bad" text
>> frames in existing documents so visually they are as they were
>> before, except now with the newer code.  This approach would keep the
>> main application code cleaner.  Such a script could even be packaged
>> with a Scribus release, much in the way some add-ins and plug-ins are
>> included with applications.
>
> looks like a very sensible approach!
>
> and you seem to be a bright and talented guy :-)
>
> ciao
> a.l.e

I'm a programmer in a multi-billion dollar global industry.  Occasionally we find ourselves in a position where something is discovered in code that needs to be fixed, but the users cannot allow layout to change (the cost make it prohibitive).  So we get to be creative in finding ways to author fixed code while at the same time preserving layout that is presently in production.  To the user, it isn't "wrong" or "broken" because outside the black box it's the way it's always been so don't fix it.  When things simply MUST shift, automation is provided to the users for updating their layouts (which in their minds were already correct before the code release).

I do not use Scribus at work.  My profession is CAD-based in electrical engineering.  I use Scribus at home for personal use.  I don't know the scripting syntax for writing my own scripts in Scribus, nor do I have the time to learn it, raising a family, doing my own landscaping for my house, and also interior remodeling.  I use Scribus so somebody else can do the development work and I can simple use the end result.  :)

Mike