[scribus] Scribus Icons Contest 2011

Alexandre Prokoudine alexandre.prokoudine at gmail.com
Sun Oct 9 04:06:50 UTC 2011

On Sun, Oct 9, 2011 at 1:45 AM, Sveinn í Felli wrote:

> Please don't mix icons and tooltips/shortcuts - think also about
> localization, for example on non-latin keyboards/languages. One good
> example is the famous B-I-U buttons (bold, italic, underline) which many
> applications use "as-is" but with corresponding effect on each button. A
> non English person may have to rely on the (often faint) visual effect to
> realize the function of such a button, because their language uses a
> totally different wording.

Yes, that makes a lot of sense. I don't see Scribus using XLIFF for
localized icons any time soon (neither I see a point for doing that).

> Some icon-themes (ex: in OOo/LibreOffice) use A-A-A with corresponding
> effect on those buttons, this is much more "neutral" for many localized
> interfaces.

There was a project called ArtLibreSet which was supposed to provide
uniform visual style for apps like GIMP, Inkscape and Scribus. GIMP
uses it since 2.4 (it's where first icons in ArtLibreSet came from),
Inkscape ships an alternative icon theme that uses it (partially), and
Scribus has some of the icons since 1.3.5. Well, the text icon in
ArtLibreSet is exactly an "A" :)

At least 1.5.0svn uses an "A" for both text frame icon and direct text
editing mode, so Scribus isn't that far off already. It's up to
designers to decide which way they go, of course. Or the team. Or
both.

Alexandre