[scribus] Scribus Icons Contest 2011

Sveinn í Felli sveinki at nett.is
Sat Oct 8 21:45:12 UTC 2011

> On 10/08/2011 10:13 AM, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
>> On Sat, Oct 8, 2011 at 5:46 PM, Gregory Pittman wrote:
>>
>>> Although they're rather small, I have wondered if there was some way to
>>> include keyboard shortcuts in at least some of the icons. The text
>>> frame
>>> icon has an A in it, but could just as easily have a T. Such letters
>>> might
>>> even help one recognize what the icon is supposed to represent.
>>
>> Just make the tooltips mention shortcuts the way GIMP does it :)
>
> The idea is to not to have to use the mouse to learn a shortcut for not
> using the mouse.
>
> Greg

Please don't mix icons and tooltips/shortcuts - think also about
localization, for example on non-latin keyboards/languages. One good
example is the famous B-I-U buttons (bold, italic, underline) which many
applications use "as-is" but with corresponding effect on each button. A
non English person may have to rely on the (often faint) visual effect to
realize the function of such a button, because their language uses a
totally different wording.
Some icon-themes (ex: in OOo/LibreOffice) use A-A-A with corresponding
effect on those buttons, this is much more "neutral" for many localized
interfaces.

Some games I've seen have a dedicated F-button for showing keyboard
shortcuts, maybe that could be handy?

Just thoughts,
Sveinn í Felli