[scribus] Scribus Icons Contest 2011

Craig Bradney cbradney at scribus.info
Sat Oct 8 08:03:01 UTC 2011

On 10/8/11 3:40 AM, Gregory Pittman wrote:
> On 10/07/2011 07:11 PM, ale rimoldi wrote:
>> Dear Scribus community,
>>
>> Many of you have probably noticed that the Scribus' icons set could
>> need some care!
>>
>> If you are skilled in icons design and want to do a substantial
>> contribution to the Scribus project, you're kindly invited to get your
>> hands dirty and create a new icon theme.
>>
>> We ask you to submit a proposal with 10 to 30 icons in one single PNG
>> file in the "Development>  UI" board in the Scribus forums
>> (http://forums.scribus.net/index.php/board,22.0.html).
>> You will probably want to add a description of your work.
>>
>> The deadline for submitting your proposal is October 31 2011.
>>

>> For questions and general comments, please reply to this email in the
>> Scribus mailing list or to this post in the Scribus forums.
>>

> If I have any concerns about this, it's that there is at most a vague sense of what is expected out
> of better icons or what failings the icons have now that might be satisfied by something new.
>
> In addition, this is a rather tight deadline (now 24 days) for this, and it also seems quite
> different than open source development in general. It's as if we might expect one person or a small
> group to propose the direction that Scribus version 1.7 might go, given a few weeks, and they would
> be "awarded" the job of making that version.

There's a deadline for the competition.. not for the full set of icons. 10 icons.. in a few
variants. More are welcome but not necessary.

Icons don't decide where Scribus goes, they show a user how to interact with Scribus.

> Why does icon development need to be so different than software development? Can it be more
> interactive, more collaborative? Can we potentially say, "well, this icon works for me but this
> other one I just don't get..."?

This is about a competition to choose a style, and an artist, or group of artists..

> I speak as someone who is not a graphic designer and will not be submitting to this, but as someone
> who might have some opinions about what looks good, suggests its meaning, and fits some sense of
> advancement in the icon set. And I'm certainly willing to listen to anyone else who has an opinion
> that they might be able to explain to help me understand one kind of appearance versus another.

And the icon set will be commented on by many.. some will love them, some will dislike one or two.

We are also not saying that all existing icons must go - remember we chose Tango for a reason,
however nobody has helped with icons for ages. Also.. this competition is about 1.5+..

Craig