[scribus] Glitch with tabs and styles

Louis Desjardins louis.desjardins at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 00:35:30 UTC 2011

2011/11/28 john Culleton <John at wexfordpress.com>

> On Sun, 27 Nov 2011 15:04:27 +0000
> Peter Etheridge <peter at eastbridge.plus.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi Louis,
> >
> > Thanks for your prompt reply. Looks as if I'm stuck with it.
> >
> > Pete
>
> As previously suggested two identical frames side by side work,
> one ragged right and the other ragged left.
> Another solution is one frame with all information ragged right. Each
> line is a separate paragraph. In the story editor on each line
> highlight the price and shift it to ragged left by clicking on the
> ragged left icon.
>
> Finally, TeX has a \ldots tag that takes up all the extra space
> and fills it with dot leaders. The code is:
> Fried Fish\ldots $4.95
> The TeX output could then be imported as a pdf file into your
> Scribus page.
>
> None of these require tabs.

Here is what the .sla looks like when a paragraph and a character style are
applied to 4 strings of text, all being entries of a menu for the sake of
that example.

 <para PARENT="Dish"/>
            <ITEXT CH="Dish one"/>
            <tab/>
            <ITEXT CPARENT="Price" CH="$12"/>
            <para PARENT="Dish"/>
            <ITEXT CH="Dish Two"/>
            <tab/>
            <ITEXT CPARENT="Price" CH="$15"/>
            <para PARENT="Dish"/>
            <ITEXT CH="Dish Three"/>
            <tab/>
            <ITEXT CPARENT="Price" CH="$18"/>
            <para PARENT="Dish"/>
            <ITEXT CH="Dish Four"/>
            <tab/>
            <ITEXT CPARENT="Price" CH="$24"/>
            <trail PARENT="Dish"/>
            <PageItemAttributes/>

Given the paragraph style set with a right tabulator on which the price
will align (so all units aligned properly), this will end up with text
properly set, with a dish name at the left of the text frame, aligned left,
and the corresponding price aligned on the right hand side on the tab stop
set value (not the frame).

Isolating the portions of text that are actually "code" to Scribus (and
that are repeated here 4 times but could be repeated as many times as
needed), from the data "dish" and "price" it should not be difficult to
produce a concatenated text that would gather the necessary code for
Scribus to understand and the data from a Menu database. Easy no?

Simply put, edit the .sla file and end up with a predictable result without
too much fuss, mouse clicks and heavy manipulations.

Louis