[scribus] Paragraph Justification (Christen)

john Culleton John at wexfordpress.com
Thu Nov 24 15:06:27 UTC 2011

On Thu, 24 Nov 2011 11:06:21 +1100
Andrew <akroiter at tpg.com.au> wrote:

> On 24/11/2011, at 05:19 , John Ghormley K
> >>

> > FWIW, I do not understand what the ending punctuation, whether a
> > period or an elipsis, has to do with justification.   Of course,
> > I'm not an Apple user in any form.  Android phone and Linux OS at
> > desktop & laptop.
> >
> > John Ghormley  KJ4UFG
> > Editor, SERA *Repeater Journal*
> > Walkertown, NC  USA
> > editor at sera.org

There is a typesetting feature called optical margins (AKA
hanging punctuation) where very small characters such as
punctuation marks can protrude either half way or all the way
into the margin. This gives the illusion of a more rectangular
paragraph. There are factors for both the right margin and
optionally for the left margin. Without this alignment a period or
comma etc. on the end of a justified line appears to create a
"hole" of white space even though it is actually perfectly
aligned. This is found in the properties palette under the text
submenu.

TeX has this, InDesign has this, and now Scribus has this.

--
John Culleton
Free list of books for self-publishers:

"Create Book Covers with Scribus"