[scribus] some stats on creating a big photo album with Scribus

Gregory Pittman gregp_ky at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 16 18:28:30 UTC 2011

Having just come back from the Galápagos, I decided to see if I could
push my script for album creation with the 433 pictures I have in a
directory.

The pictures range from about 1.7 to 2.8MB each (JPEGs). I did not
resize any photos.
I'm using a laptop with 4GB of RAM, a dual-core processor (2300MHz).

As expected, Scribus seems to die for some time, and I can't really
access anything else on the computer while the script is running, but
eventually the script finishes (using up to 80% of CPU), and Scribus can
load this 109 page document (4 images per US Letter page). I am also
able to generate a PDF with a file size of slightly greater than 1GB.

What I think this illustrates is the flexibility of the script, more or
less only dependent on the hardware limitations.

This is a variant of the scripts you will find on the wiki:

http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Automatic_import_of_images:_Versions_not_requiring_Tkinter

the variation having to do with accommodating the dimensions of my Nikon
SLR images.

Greg