[scribus] interesting article with thoughts for us

john Culleton John at wexfordpress.com
Thu Nov 10 00:35:20 UTC 2011

On Wed, 9 Nov 2011 12:26:18 +0000 (UTC)
Anthony Rogers <tony at themailbox.name> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I know that this is an old thread but this 'issue' has just hit me.
>
> I have just upgraded my version of Ubuntu to 11.10 and part of the
> process was to upgrade to a 1.4.x version of Scribus. I had no choice
> in the matter and to be honest I didn't know that I might wish to
> decline the upgrade of Scribus (even if it were possible).
>
> My point is this ... I operate in a mixed Scribus environment. Some
> 1.4 and some earlier versions. It seems that it is now impossible to
> use 1.4 files with the ealier versions, and indeed impossible for 1.4
> to save in earlier formats.
>
> I cannot go forwards now without preventing those older versions from
> being able to be used on these shared documents.
>
> I accept that the developers would have to deal with this issue of
> backwards compatibility and that it is a distraction from 'real
> development', but even Microsoft can save in older formats to
> preserve some kind of usability.
>
> I accept that new features might not be savable on an old format but
> that is acceptable for people who need to work like this.
>
> I used to be a developer and appreciate the issues here. However, I
> am making this post as a previously happy, but now concerned, end
> user.
>
> Best wishes,
> Tony Rogers.

You can always download and compile an earlier version if you
wish. But as you state, later versions can handle files from earlier
versions but not vice versa. So I suggest you use 1.4.0 for
everything. I cannot conceive of a good reason not to. Only one
feature of importance to me has been removed, the ability to call the
style editor from the left hand column of the story editor.
Apparently there was some problem with maintaining this feature
on OS X. And this missing feature has a work-around. So it is a nice to
have but not a got to have.

There are lots of important issues facing the Scribus
developers. I for one would vote against expending resources on
producing earlier versions of output from later versions, as you
request.

Just convert everything to 1.4.0. That step only takes a few
moments for each file, load and then save. Say goodbye to the
earlier versions. You don't need them.

--
John Culleton
Free list of books for self-publishers: