[scribus] cmake && make && make install

Owen rcook at pcug.org.au
Tue May 31 09:44:57 UTC 2011

On Mon, 30 May 2011 19:29:30 -0400
Gregory Pittman <gregp_ky at yahoo.com> wrote:

> This of course is the sequence that we dutifully advise for building
> Scribus.
>
> What I have noticed is that one can skip running 'make' separately,
> and just run
>
> cmake -DWANT_yadayadayada...
>
> then
>
> make install
>
> in which case make first compiles, then installs, and I can't really
> tell a difference.
>
> Is there any reason to run 'make' all by itself?

Here is my pitch on the matter.

make is run as a user.

As long as the install goes in a user directory then there should be no
problem.

But if it goes in a root directory like /opt, then you need su or sudo
to install.

Ok, so run make install as root, then that kind of changes all the
permissions in the build directory. Maybe no big deal, but my
preference is to have user files owned by the user.

Owen