[scribus] Magazine Template

Gregory Pittman gregp_ky at yahoo.com
Thu May 12 14:49:05 UTC 2011

On 05/12/2011 09:01 AM, John Culleton wrote:
> On Sunday, May 08, 2011 02:14:42 pm Anna Atkinson wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I'm in the process of setting up a local parenting magazine, and have been
>> looking into using scribus for the layout design. This is my first time
>> working with scribus and on such a project however, and I'm looking for
>> someone who would be able to help me with making a template that I can use
>> for each issue and just change the content each time. If anyone is
>> interested in helping with this project, or knows where I can find a
>> designer experienced in magazine layouts in scribus, please contact me at
>> anna_atkinson at hotmail.co.uk Thanks in advance,Anna
>
> There is an old magazine template that comes with Scribus. You could use that
> as a starting point. Also there is a tutorial that walks you through the
> process of creating a magazine step by step. It is also old but still useful.

If you consider the variability that the layout of various magazines
will have, I think you are better off making your own after looking at a
number of magazines to decide what you want yours to look like.

You can take a look at various templates (look at newsletters also)
included with Scribus to get a sense of the various things you need to
know, and of course playing with them can help you see how you can
create some customizations.

Some things you want to learn, beyond basic things about documents and
various kinds of frames, etc.:

* Layers
* Master Pages -- especially left and right pages
* Page numbering
* Using guides to help you align content

For many things, looking at the online documentation (F1), under
Documentation can be helpful, along with things you might find on the wiki.

http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Scribus

Greg