[scribus] pdf compression

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Fri Mar 18 19:06:25 CET 2011

<gregp_ky at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > On 03/18/2011 11:17 AM, Ron Carter wrote:
> >> Not long ago there was a thread talking about how to reduce the
> >> size of a pdf.  I can't find it.
> >> Can someone tell me how?
> >
> > Hi Ron,
> >
> > This is probably the most famous method:
> >
> > http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Web_optimised_PDF
> >
> > but keep in mind that the bulk of the compression comes from
> > resampling images, so that you have only the part of an image
> > that you use, and have its resolution only as high as needed.
> >
> > In that vein, you can actually control the size of your PDF right
> > from Scribus:
> >
> > http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Image_DPI_and_Scaling,_and_Resulta
> >nt_File_Sizes
> >
> > If you especially focus on large image files, crop them down to
> > the part you actually use, and pick suitable DPI settings in PDF
> > Export, you may avoid this post-PDF optimization altogether.
> >
> > Greg

> > There may be downtime. Please use forums if the list is not
> > available.

> There may be downtime. Please use forums if the list is not
> available.

If you load a graphic into a graphic frame, and then fit the graphic
to the frame, it may shrink a bit giving you more dots per inch.
If you load the same graphic into another frame, the fit the frame to
the graphic, it should stay at 300 dpi but it may be a bit larger than
you expected.
--
John Culleton
Create Book Covers with Scribus: