[scribus] render frame

AlexandreLeray alexandre at alexandreleray.com
Fri Mar 11 11:58:42 CET 2011

Hi

On 03/11/2011 09:41 AM, a.l.e wrote:
> hi
>
>> A render frame is a way to go outside of Scribus and use another
>> program, such as LaTeX or Gimp, to create the content of the frame.
>
> just a detail: basically, the render frame is not thought to be used with gimp (no idea if it can be used with it).
>
> ciao
> a.l.e

My understanding is that the frame renderer can be used with *any*
programme as long as it returns an image (postscript). Since Gimp as
scripting facilities and you can use it from the command-line it should
work. That's what I find beautiful with the frame render; it really
opens scribus from the inside to a broad range of new tools, and becomes
trully powerful when you think of generative design.

There whas a thread not so long ago about this, and I was proposing to
implement a "text-frame render". While I understand there are other
priorities I think we should keep things like this in in mind: this is
the kind of functionalities proprioritary software companies are not
investigating because it is not mainstream, and since FLOSS is not
driven by marketing strategies it has the oportunity to do something here.

Alex
Alex