[scribus] scribus Digest, Vol 36, Issue 2: document expansion

John Ghormley KJ4UFG kj4ufg at sera.org
Fri Mar 4 12:15:48 CET 2011

On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 11:22 PM, Murray Strome <wmstrome at yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday, March 1, 2011 5:59 AM, "Ron Carter" <rrcwlc at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Does it seem unreasonable to anyone but me that a Scribus document
> that occupies 2.5 MB should balloon to 52.6 MB as a pdf document?
> What is the typical expansion when preparing pdf's from Scribus?
> Ron
> ------------
> I am not certain about whether it is "reasonable" or not. People have given
> excellent explanations as to why this is the case. However, I have found
> that the script included in the following link does an excellent job of
> compressing the PDF file to a reasonable size:
>
> http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Web_optimised_PDF
>
> I routinely use this script whenever I create a PDF document with Scribus.
> I find that the resulting compressed document is smaller by more than a
> factor of ten, and I have been unable to detect any degradation in the
> quality of the resulting compressed PDF.
>
> I hope that this helps you.

The script definitely helped me!  Upon seeing it, I tried to reduce the size
of my latest issue which resulted in a 1.5 Gig pdf file.  After running your
script, I got a much more manageable 35 MEG file.  Of course, as stated in
an earlier email in another thread, I sent the printer the larger file and
will continue to do so.  But since I have no desire to recreate from scratch
the entire issue as a smaller pdf, I'll continue to use your script.  I'm an
Ubuntu 10.10 user.  Thanks, so much.
--
John Ghormley  KJ4UFG
Editor, SERA *Repeater Journal*