[scribus] Image cropping

Louis Desjardins louis.desjardins at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 23:42:32 CET 2011

2011/3/2 a.l.e <ale.comp_06 at xox.ch>

> hi
>

> http://www.gsp.com/cgi-bin/man.cgi?section=1&topic=jpegtran
>
> """
> We also offer a lossless-crop option, which discards data outside a given
> image region but losslessly preserves what is inside. Like the rotate and
> flip transforms, lossless crop is restricted by the current JPEG format: the
> upper left corner of the selected region must fall on an iMCU boundary. If
> this does not hold for the given crop parameters, we silently move the upper
> left corner up and/or left to make it so, simultaneously increasing the
> region dimensions to keep the lower right crop corner unchanged. (Thus, the
> output image covers at least the requested region, but may cover more.)
>
> The image can be losslessly cropped by giving the switch:
> -crop WxH+X+Y
>        Crop to a rectangular subarea of width W, height H starting at
>        point X,Y.
> """
>
> not sure if this is what we are looking for...

As far as I can tell, this would be pretty much what we are looking for, at
least for most of the usage.

If an image is used more than once into a document and is also used at
various sizes, I guess the result would be as many cropped images as needed
to cover all the needs in that particular document.

What do the devs say? Is this usable, implementable, doable?

Louis