[scribus] (no subject)

John Ghormley KJ4UFG kj4ufg at sera.org
Tue Mar 1 20:09:58 CET 2011

On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 11:28 AM, a.l.e <ale.comp_06 at xox.ch> wrote:

> salut louis,
>

>  If you look at this wiki page:
>>>

>>> http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Image_DPI_and_Scaling,_and_Resultant_File_Sizes
>>>
>>> you can get a sense of how changing some settings in Scribus or
>>> manipulating the images can variably reduce file size of the PDF.
>>>
>>> Especially with a large document containing many images, you should be
>>> using the lowest DPI resolution that makes sense for your purpose.
>>> Typically, 150 to 300 DPI is good enough. Using a tiny part of a very
>>> large
>>> image will load this entire image into the PDF, so cropping before you
>>> use
>>> the image can be a huge savings.
>>>
>>>  This naturally brings me to the idea of a script that would do that,
>> when
>> the user is ready, crop the image to the frame + 1 pixel to avoid
>> accidental
>> white gap between a framed image frame. Is this feasible? What's the best
>> way to do this, a python script or hard coded into the application?
>>

> personally, i would do it as a script in python. with an external
> application like imagemagick (or a python module) taking care of the
> cropping.
>
> and i would not add 1 pixel: the script and scribus should work correctly,
> and not allow accidental white gaps.
>
> ciao
> a.l.e

Should anyone develop such a script, I would be very interested in it.  My
last .pdf for the printer was 1.5Gb which meant I had to transfer it in
person on a DVD.  Printer's http based file transfer system said the job
would require 23 hours to upload.  The the printer would require another 23
hours to download to his site.
--
John Ghormley  KJ4UFG
Editor, SERA *Repeater Journal*