[scribus] Missing Font(s) -- slight detour, or about Helvetica

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Tue Jun 28 20:31:03 UTC 2011

On Tuesday, June 28, 2011 04:18:01 pm Meho R. wrote:
> On 28.06.2011 15:34, John Culleton wrote:
> > In addition to the excellent advice offered by ALE you
may
> > also want to consider another Sans Serif Font.
Helvetica,
> > like Times Roman, is used to the point of being trite.
> > IMO it is wise to consider similar but slightly
different
> > fonts.  I don't know what your Scribus system offers
but
> > mine shows:
> > DejaVu Sans Bold
> > Liberation Sans Bold
> > Luxi Sans Bold
> > Nimbus Sans L bold
> > etc.
>
> Even if so, Helvetica *is* a legend among fonts and
tasteful use of it
> has its merits and distinctive charm. If you have said
"Arial, like
> Times Roman...", I'd agree with you, but Helvetica...
Also, none of
> these free fonts you mentioned can really compare to
Helvetica, sorry,
> John.
>
> ___

I quote Bringhurst, page 97 anent Helvetica:
"The many light weights issued in recent years have done
much to reduce Helvetica's coarseness but little to
increase its readability"

--
John Culleton

"Death Wore Black" Police procedural: