[scribus] New Version Announcements

Gregory Pittman gregp_ky at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 24 13:29:29 UTC 2011

On 06/24/2011 04:28 AM, Martin Costabel wrote:
> On 23/06/11 13:01, John Culleton wrote:
>> On Thursday, June 23, 2011 01:58:52 am Martin Costabel
>> wrote:
>> users

>> team skipped it this
>>>
>>> To further muddy the waters, scribus compiled from the
>> rc5 tarball calls
>>> itself rc4.
>>
>> My nightly download and compile of the svn version calls
>> itself RC 5, and has since June 18.
>
> The rc5 tarball gives a splash screen where it says rc4. The window from
> the "about" menu entry shows a part of the same splash screen with
> 1.4.0rc4 and below that it says "Scribus Version 1.4.0.rc5".
>
> I mention this, not for picking nits, but as a symptom. Part of the
> confusion of the users about the release system and the release numbers
> of Scribus comes from the fact that the scribus developers have kept
> sending confusing information about this. I am still somewhat angry
> about the 1.3.4 disaster.

I'm not sure it's a symptom of anything. There has traditionally been a
pattern of fairly frequent bug fixes and changes, perhaps many in any
given day. Only episodically is the about.cpp changed, which updates the
date you see when you check Help > About Scribus. A third and simply
visual element change is the splashscreen which has the version on it as
well, and is probably the least reliable, the most likely to be out of date.

For various reasons, right now we have many people focused on the svn
and the various 1.4.0rc candidates, but there have been some unforeseen
yet important hitches in getting the final 1.4.0 released. Worse would
have been to prematurely release a broken 1.4.0.

Greg