[scribus] epub from sla? or Scribus versus Lyx

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Thu Jun 23 14:12:15 UTC 2011

<john at wexfordpress.com> wrote:
> > I push for the wider adoption of pdf as an e-book
format. I

> > don't use anything else. But you can't sell gadgets
based
> > on pdf. And you can't control the market a la Kindle
and
> > Amazon. So my plea will go largely unheard.
>
> The downside of PDF is that it can not reflow if you use
a different screen
> size or fount size. This can be a real pan.
>
>     -EdK
>
> Ed Keith
> e_d_k at yahoo.com
>
> Blog: edkeith.blogspot.com

Agreed for a handheld device. For a conventional computer
screen using e.g., Acrobat Reader resizing the whole page
is easy. Or with my e-book you can just print out the whole
thing, I don't use DRM and the page size is 11 x 8.5
(landscape.)

The markets are different. For a novel or memoir the html
based format works fine. For a technical work full of
tables, lists, figures etc. Epub or Kindle are apparently a
mess.
--
John Culleton

"Death Wore Black" Police procedural: