[scribus] Idiot wants to build 1.5.0 from source

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Thu Jun 23 13:00:22 UTC 2011

On Thursday, June 23, 2011 04:29:44 am a.l.e wrote:
> hi
>
> > Rather than willy nilly doing things as root and
risking breaking
> > your computer please take a moment to find an answer.
As I have
> > nothing better to do I googled for you and discovered
this
> > information you may find useful.
> > http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/6827/how-to-
add-a-repository-on-f
> > edora
>
> i have added an opensuse / fedora page in the wiki like
we have for debian
> / ubuntu:
>
> http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/OpenSuse
>
> it's just a placeholder with no real information in
there.

> can anybody who is indeed using one of those distribution
help filling it?

> ciao
> a.l.e

For any Linux system the possiblity of downloading the svn
version and recompiling it overnight is available. I use
Salix, a Slackware derivative and where the latest or at
lest a recent version of a prticular software tool is
avaialble from the distribution itself  I just download it.
Foe example to get Inkscape I just enter:
slapt-get -i inkscape

But if it is not available from the repository (as Scribus
is not from Salix) or the version in the repository is too
old I create an svn-based script, as I have done.

People have criticized my scripts because they use root
privileges. It is true that my background goes back to OS
where there was no distinction between "users" as such. And
they were constructed to run overnight under control of the
cron program. So I will rewrite my scripts to use only user
privileges and repost them.

Or one can follow the instructions in the wiki exactly.

Even with a rewritten script the development tools and the
required libraries have to be present. That is up to each
user to work out with those skilled in their particular OS
and distribution.

There is of course another approach worthy of
consideration. With TeX I just download the latest annual
version of the TexLive distribution, burn it on a dvd, boot
from it and then follow the install instructions on it.
TexLive will work on any version of Linux and AFAIK on
Windows and OS X as well. Now TeX is much less dependent on
shared libraries than more modern programs. But a
distribution agnostic Linux install disk is a thought worth
considering. Cmake and svn programs could be part of the
dvd image. I may work on such a project as time permits.
--
John Culleton

"Death Wore Black" Police procedural:
http://www.deathworeblack.com/