[scribus] epub from sla? or Scribus versus Lyx

Gregory Pittman gregp_ky at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 22 22:21:02 UTC 2011

On 06/22/2011 03:46 PM, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 11:40 PM, Lila Pagola wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I guess this is a topic very well known by everybody in this list, but
>> I was searching at list's archives and with Google, and I can't find
>> real answers, and that's probably I'm doing the wrong question: Is it
>> possible to get a acceptable version in epub format, from a Scribus
>> design, or its pdf?
>
> No. They are conceptually different.
>
> Of free tools I can recommend http://www.kindletemplate.com/ and
> http://code.google.com/p/sigil/

I'm currently experimenting with a site called PressBooks, which amounts
to a modification of Wordpress for making books. It's still incomplete,
and therefore having various issues.

The outputs from this, other than creating a website of your book, are
ePub, PDF, and InDesignXML. I don't have a way of testing the last one,
although if/when Scribus gets an IDXML importer it could become quite
interesting. Right now, and I imagine even in the future, there are
limits on the fonts used, various characteristics, and even placement on
the pages, so pulling it into Scribus could take care of those limitations.

For a while ePub looked pretty good, and I could convert to MOBI format
with calibre -- at the moment ePub output is broken.

PDFs have some problems, but are getting better. For a simple book (I'm
writing or pretending to write a Scribus manual) it's not so bad. If I
can get something done with a degree of completeness I might release it
for people to download for free -- at least the ePub version. Just be
aware that this is noway going to be as complete as the Official Manual.

Greg