[scribus] Idiot wants to build 1.5.0 from source

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Wed Jun 22 13:18:05 UTC 2011

On Wednesday, June 22, 2011 06:15:45 am a.l.e wrote:
> hi
>
> > Looking at /usr/local/scribus_svn/bin/ there is an
executable with the
> > name "scribus." Launching it starts Scribus 1.3.9. Its
properties says
> > it is owned by root. Launching it from the command line
as root gives
> > me:
> >
> > [root at Devil8 bin]# scribus
> > No protocol specified
> > scribus: cannot connect to X server :0.0
> >
> > The properties for the executable only say that it is
owned by root;
> > there is no further information about the file.
>
> please, refrain from running scribus as root!
>
> it's not a good idea.
>
> ciao
> a.l.e
>
> ___

In general you cannot run anything from the gui if you have
signed on as a user and then done su in a GUI console
session to get root privileges. So at runtime use your user
sign in as ALE recommends.

Building Scribus is a different matter.
My method is to build Scribus as root using cron overnight,
but then run it from my user name. Cron runs with root
privleges.

My cron call is very simple. In the folder
/etc/cron.daily
I have a two line file that looks like this:

/usr/local/scrib140
/usr/local/scrib150

This file is made executable by the command:
chmod 777 (filename)
The texts of scrib140 and scrib150 have been posted before.
They also have to be made executable with chmod.

Note that for my method the files
/usr/local/src/s140
and
/usr/local/src/s150
must exist. Otherwise bad things will happen.

Those of us who use Slackware or a Slackware derivative
have the necessary libraries for compiling Scribus, which
is Qt based. Slackware assumes that you will be compiling
programs that use Qt. Other distros assume that you will be
useing the Gnome libraries. So it is easier to compile
Scribus on Slackware, but easier to compile e.g., Inkscape
on another distribution.

Salix, a Slackware derivative, gives you the best of both
worlds.

--
John Culleton

"Death Wore Black" Police procedural: