[scribus] Idiot wants to build 1.5.0 from source

Peter Linnell mrdocs at scribus.net
Tue Jun 21 13:02:06 UTC 2011

On 06/21/2011 12:05 AM, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Jun 2011 16:46:40 -0400
> John Culleton <john at wexfordpress.com> dijo:
>
>> On Monday, June 20, 2011 12:02:53 pm Gregory Pittman wrote:
>>>
>>> we hashed through this a little while ago in a different
>> context, but
>>> the only way you are going to make this script run is as
>> root, and
>>> probably not a good idea to be root when you don't
>> absolutely need to be.
>>>
>> The script runs overnight using the cron facility. Cron
>> runs as root.
>>
>> I have another script which updates 1.4.0 overnight. I call
>> the rsulting executable scrib4.  Currently it yields 1.4.0
>> RC 5. You might want to do somethng like this instead of
>> waiting for Fedora to update. It might be a long wait.
>
> John,
>
> When I was writing the subject line of my initial post it occurred to
> me to send it just to you directly rather than to the list. But then I
> decided you would surely weigh in anyway, and there might be some other
> idiots like me trying to figure out how to do it.
>
> Now to the point: I am also using Fedora and, like Greg, stuck at
> 1.3.9.* While I want to play with 1.5.0, I'd also like to get 1.4.0 RC5
> (and later RCs and the final).
>
> *I have even posted on the Fedora forums asking why they won't put the
> latest in updates-testing, let alone the regular repos. I had one
> response that Scribus was "unverified." Like, what? It's *testing*, fer
> cryin' in yer beer. Whoever is in charge of the testing repository
> needs the proverbial 2x4 treatment.
>
> So can you please tell me again about your script to build 1.4.0, as
> well as your 1.5.0 script. But note that I'd like to do it manually from
> time to time, not via cron as you do. I find that cron is
> incronprehensible. (Sorry.) Unless there's a GUI for it maybe. No, I'd
> still like to do it manually.
>
> And if I'm going to build 1.4.0 RCx, then I can uninstall 1.3.9, so the
> only conflict avoidance issue will be between 1.4.0 RCx and 1.5.0.

There is a very simple solution to half this, at least the rc5 part:

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/mrdocs/Fedora_14/

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/mrdocs/Fedora_15/

Add these repos in /etc/yum somewhere

Even though its a openSUSE build server it builds native rpms for
Fedora, Mandriva, RHEL, openSUSE, SLES and soon Magiea.

You will need to install or upgrade the libpodofo and podofo included in
that repo. Why? Scribus 1.4.0 is built against the latest stable podofo.

As for 1.5.0.svn, I may add that as well inside a different repo. But it
will be parallel installed, so you can have both 1.4.x and 1.5.0.svn at
the same.

We *always* have these rpms available soon, if not before we make an
announcement. Same goes for Debian/Ubuntu packages.

Hope that helps,

Peter
Scribus Team Member/RPM packager.