[scribus] Idiot wants to build 1.5.0 from source

Jan Schrewe jschrewe at googlemail.com
Tue Jun 21 02:03:38 UTC 2011

On 21 June 2011 02:59, John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Jun 2011 19:22:41 -0400
> John Culleton <john at wexfordpress.com> dijo:
>

> First, I su'd to root at the command line, then created
> the /usr/local/s140 directory.
>
> Then I copied your script to Gedit. I have a folder ~/Software into
> which I put all funny programs that didn't come from a Fedora repo. I
> made a folder in it for Scribus ~/Software/Scribus and saved the script
> into it as Scribus_1.4_script.
>
> From the command line I changed to the ~/Software/Scribus directory and
> did:
>
> [root at Devil8 Scribus]# ./Scribus_1.4_script
> bash: ./Scribus_1.4_script: Permission denied
> [root at Devil8 Scribus]# su jjj
> [jjj at Devil8 Scribus]$ ./Scribus_1.4_script
> bash: ./Scribus_1.4_script: Permission denied
>
> Root can't run a script from jjj's home folder? JJJ can't either? WTH?

It's not a script yet, it's just a text file. In order to let the shell know
that it is actually dealing with a script you can either run bash
<scriptname> oder (better) at a shebang line. Open the file and paste
#!/bin/bash (or #!/bin/sh) inte the first line of the file. Then chmod to
0755 (!) or 0700. The permission 777 means that everybody can run it, which
leads a) to security problems (less important on your personal computer) and
b) to permission confusion if you run it as different users.

Generally I would advise that you run the build process at least one time
per hand. A script makes usually stuff harder to understand if something
goes wrong. They are good though if you want to build scribus on a regular
basis.