[scribus] Idiot wants to build 1.5.0 from source

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Mon Jun 20 23:22:41 UTC 2011

On Monday, June 20, 2011 06:05:44 pm John Jason Jordan
wrote:

> When I was writing the subject line of my initial post it
occurred to
> me to send it just to you directly rather than to the
list. But then I
> decided you would surely weigh in anyway, and there might
be some other
> idiots like me trying to figure out how to do it.
>
> Now to the point: I am also using Fedora and, like Greg,
stuck at
> 1.3.9.* While I want to play with 1.5.0, I'd also like to
get 1.4.0 RC5
> (and later RCs and the final).
>
> *I have even posted on the Fedora forums asking why they
won't put the
> latest in updates-testing, let alone the regular repos. I
had one
> response that Scribus was "unverified." Like, what? It's
*testing*, fer
> cryin' in yer beer. Whoever is in charge of the testing
repository
> needs the proverbial 2x4 treatment.
>
> So can you please tell me again about your script to
build 1.4.0, as
> well as your 1.5.0 script. But note that I'd like to do
it manually from
> time to time, not via cron as you do. I find that cron is
> incronprehensible. (Sorry.) Unless there's a GUI for it
maybe. No, I'd
> still like to do it manually.
>
> And if I'm going to build 1.4.0 RCx, then I can uninstall
1.3.9, so the
> only conflict avoidance issue will be between 1.4.0 RCx
and 1.5.0.

OK here is the 1.4.0 script. You can put it in /usr/local,
sign on as root and run it from there. You also need to
have a directory /usr/local/src/s140
cd /usr/local/src/s140
rm -r *
cd ../
svn co svn://scribus.net/branches/Version135/Scribus s140
cd s140
cmake . -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX:PATH=/usr/local/scribus4_svn
make
make install
cd scribus
ls -l scribus
rm /usr/local/bin/scrib4
ln scribus /usr/local/bin/scrib4

The major distro, whether Fedora or Slackware or whatever
won't keep up with release candidates. The script will.

--
John Culleton

"Death Wore Black" Police procedural:
http://www.deathworeblack.com/