[scribus] Idiot wants to build 1.5.0 from source

Gregory Pittman gregp_ky at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 20 13:26:24 UTC 2011

On 06/20/2011 01:11 AM, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Jun 2011 14:23:45 +1000
> "Owen"<rcook at pcug.org.au>  dijo:
>
>>> Is this something like a fancy wget?
>
>> No, no, use a console
>>
>> See http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Building_SVN_versions_with_CMake
>>
>> # svn co svn://scribus.net/trunk/Scribus
>>
>> Also read
>> http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Building_SVN_versions_with_CMake#Out-of-source_builds
>>
>> yeah, bit like wget
>
> Ah! Now I see better how to use svn<slaps head>.
>
> OK, the main instructions on the above page are:
>
> 	mkdir ~/src/
> 	mkdir ~/src/scribus_svn
> 	sudo mkdir /usr/local/scribus_svn
> 	cd ~/src/scribus_svn
> 	svn co svn://scribus.net/trunk/Scribus
> 	cd ./Scribus
> 	cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX:PATH=/usr/local/scribus_svn
> 	make
> 	sudo "make install"

What I do is to put these svn versions into my home directory, with
something like

cmake . -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX:PATH=/home/gregp/scribus135

thus you have no concern about messing up your standard Scribus
installation.
In addition, you can run 'make install' as yourself (no sudo), which is
further insurance you can't overwrite anything that requires root
privileges.

Greg