[scribus] The never-ending quest for a stable version

Julian Robbins julian.robbins at q-par.com
Mon Jun 20 11:06:09 UTC 2011

Hi All

I've been using FLOSS for over 11 years now. I think there is confusion
about stable, developmental, unstable, as different OSS applications
call their software by different names, meaning some or all of the
above. Then there are alphas, betas, and RC's. And as we all know the
quality of one project's Alpha may sometimes supercede another project's
Beta or even RC. And again, one person's annoyance as a bug, is someone
else's absolute showstopper.

Personally, I think Scribus is a wonderful project with the friendliest
most open and helpful ML there is. But where I really think the Scribus
project fails, is underselling it.

IMHO, 1.4 really should be version 2. I know it's really too late now,
but such a major change in look and feel, text rendering speed ....
really should be more than just a 0.2 change. No way does it outline the
huge benefits there are using 1.4 to 1.3.3.14.

I think I started with Scribus version 0.4 or 0.7 which had about a year
between them. 1.0 followed within another year or so. 1.2 soon after. It
really has been a long time since the 1.3.3 series

To get user uptake it depends on great software, (which Scribus is), but
also telling people, 'ie 'marketing' your software and message, and I
think this is one of the few areas that really could/should be improved
upon.....

If I could code, I would help ... I do however do my bit for Scribus and
FLOSS by featuring it regularly in our LUG and our regular events to the
general public ... where they get to see great DTP needn't not cost the
earth ..

--
Kind Regards,

Julian Robbins