[scribus] CMYK or RGB printer

Peter Nermander peter at nermander.se
Fri Jun 17 06:25:57 UTC 2011

> To each his own. My desktop color printer (HP Color Laser CP1518ni) has
> four cartridges, Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and blacK. Clearly it will handle
> CMYK just fine.

ALL color printers print with CMYK, but that does not mean the printer
can handle CMYK input.

All office/desktop printers are made to handle RGB data, because that
is what most programs will give them.

If the printer driver expects RGB input, printing a CMYK file the
printer driver will then convert it from CMYK to RGB and then the
printer will convert it again from RGB to CMYK. You can probably guess
what effect this will have on the final result.

Some (very few) office/desktop printers can handle CMYK data, but that
often means setting up a second copy of the printer driver giving you
both an RGB printer and a CMYK printer.

So, bring up your printers manual and check the facts.

/Peter