[scribus] We should be able to change fontsize in latex editor

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Thu Jun 16 17:46:44 UTC 2011

On Thursday, June 16, 2011 12:14:13 pm a.l.e wrote:
> hi john,

> >> he is probably printing the poster on a internal print shop with a
laser
> >> printer which expects RGB files...
> >>
> >> afaik, nowadays, printing not always expects CMYK, anymore! and you
> >> should only do CMYK if somebody requested to do so (or you have the
> >> knowhow to handle CMYK!)
> >>
> >> ciao
> >> a.l.e
> >
> > To each his own. My desktop color printer (HP Color Laser CP1518ni) has
> > four cartridges, Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and blacK. Clearly it will
handle
> > CMYK just fine.
>
> if if it has four cartridges, your desktop printer probably expects RGC
> (this means that your driver converts your job in RGB and then the
> printer converts it back to CMYK.
>
> > I do not see any difficulty in handling CMYK in Scribus.
>
> yes, but it's harder to produce CMYK from latex.
>
> since the persons having asked the question doesn't seem to have a deep
> color knowledges, it's probably better for him to stick to RGB.
>
> but why do simple, when one can do it complicated!
>
> ciao
> a.l.e

I agree simple is better than complicated, which is why I use either pdftex
or luatex instead of any form of LaTeX. The math formulas are identical.
There was no need to add the complexities of LaTeX to Scribus, but most
people are more famiiliar with LaTeX which is probably why it was chosen.
I have been working with TeX (various formats) for nearly 2 decades now.
I only use pdflatex when I need the various special facilities of the
Memoir class. That class is not relevant to Scribus.

The TeX file pdfcolor.tex defines 68 colors in CMYK form. (More could be
added by the user of course).
In that file each color is defined in two lines:

\def\cmykGreenYellow{0.15 0 0.69 0}
\def\GreenYellow{\pdfsetcolor{\cmykGreenYellow}}

Note that the range in TeX for a base color is 0 to 1, not 0 to 100
as in Scribus.

But the user need only know the name "GreenYellow"

  You can use the file in e.g., pdftex thus:
\input pdfcolor.tex

Then in pdftex any passage of text can be enclosed in brackets and it will
appear in a designated color thus:
{\GreenYellow here is some text}

Now that is simple. And that is CMYK, TeX style.

--
John Culleton

"Death Wore Black" Police procedural: http://www.deathworeblack.com/

"Create Book Covers with Scribus"