[scribus] Story Mode

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Wed Jun 15 13:20:16 UTC 2011

On Wednesday, June 15, 2011 01:02:30 am a.l.e wrote:
> hi mike,
>
> > I now understand all the talk regarding Story Editor in 1.4 - it's
> > crap.  1.3 was better.  Why did we take a step backward instead of
> > forward from 1.3 to 1.4?  Missing is the ability to edit/create
> > styles from within Story Editor, and also missing is the toolbar
> > button is for updating and exiting Story Editor.  It was working fine
> > in version 1.3, echoing comments made by others, I don't see why it
> > had to be mucked up for version 1.4.
> >
> > Why am I using Story Editor?  Because the Properties window keeps
> > corrupting my text frame!  When I select a line of text to override
> > the applied style with custom settings, the dang UI changes my text
> > selection and applies the customization to the entire frame!  At
> > least with Story Editor, I can (or could) apply styles to selected
> > paragraphs without affecting other paragraphs in the frame.
> > Unfortunately, there is no support for customizing specific
> > characters within a paragraph, such as making one or two words bold
> > or italic.  The only way to do this is through the Properties window,
> > which keeps changing which text I have selected!  (Very annoying.)
>
> personally, i think you're getting it backwards: if there are bugs in
> the Properties Palette (PP) it's the PP that has to get fixed.
>
> and again: nobody has taken away the chance to create a style while
> working in the story editor!
>
> just use the edit > style manager from the main menu without closing
> the story editor!
>
> ciao
> a.l.e
>
> p.s.: if you can give us step to reproduce the selection problems
> you're facing, i guess that those will be corrected ASAP!
>
> p.p.s.: and with a bit of luck 1.6 will have new shiny story editor
> which can do everything you need!

Thus far 1.5.0 story editor lacks two facilities found in earlier versions,
the direct entry to the style editor as part of the style selection dropdown
in the story editor and the toolbar button for save & exit. Since the OP and I
have separately asked for a restoration of these two features perhaps
consideration should be given to their restoration. They will help the OP and
I to operate the story editor in Scribus the way we like while not fobidding
you from operating the way you like.  You have your preferences, we have ours.
Both should be accommodated. In particular existing and useful features should
not be deleted just because a developer doesn't use them.

John Culleton
Able Indexers and Typesetters