[scribus] Easiest way to insert text.

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Thu Jun 2 17:03:58 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2 Jun 2011 11:59:55 -0400
John Culleton <john at wexfordpress.com> dijo:

>I am about to compose a book of about 50 pages with lots of illos. I
>have already discovered that if I create a text file and read it in
>each line becomes a paragraph which is a pain. So now I have three
>choices:
>1. key in Open Office Writer and import the odt file,
>2. Key in the story editor.
>3. key directly in the first frame.

OOo is generally a better tool for writing and typing than the Story
Editor or directly in the frame. That is because it has
auto-completion, automatic spell checking, and a host of other features
that are lacking in Scribus. The only downside is that the import
filter in Scribus can't do character styles, and even importing with
paragraph styles strikes me as kind of clunky.

The only advantage to the Story Editor is that you can apply styles
directly in Scribus, so you eliminate the import issues.

Typing directly in the frame works the best because it will be WYSIWIG
and you can still apply styles and other formatting directly in
Scribus. However, if your text is going to stretch over multiple linked
frames the cursor won't automatically go from one frame to the next.

I'd do it in OOo because typing is what it was designed for. Then
import or copy/paste into the frame in Scribus, and do the final
adjustments in canvas view.