[scribus] Rotated Text Frames

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Sat Jul 30 21:57:22 UTC 2011

On Saturday, July 30, 2011 01:27:07 pm Mike Sleger wrote:
> >> I have a text frame rotated 3.4° with Ruling Script LT Std 2 for
the
> >> font (in case that makes a difference) and every single time I
click in
> >> the frame to edit text the I-bar appears in the wrong place
(different
> >> line, different characters) and requires manual repositioning
with the
> >> cursor keys.  Normal?
> >
> > I find that anytime I am using an unconventional rotation of a
text
> > frame, the editing is much easier done in the Story Editor.
Generally,
> > the text in such unconventional frames is fixed and only needs to
be
> > tweaked a bit, to conform to the space allowed or to update the
info.
> > The Story Editor, not being WYSIWYG, is much more precise and
easier to
> > work with for me in these instances.
>
> Except that you cannot tweak kerning in Story Editor.

IME kerning is usually only needed for display type on covers,
running heads and such. You can create a style where all the text on
a line is kerned. Granted it was faster when the Style Editor could
be called from inside the Story Editor. But that was an error that
apparently won't be corrected.

It is true that the Story Editor is disliked by some. But if you want
100% WYSIWYG there is always the word processors. Personally I always
thought that WYSIWYG, like Mom's apple pie, was seriously overrated.

Others, including some developers, think otherwise. Oh well.
--
John Culleton