[scribus] To Outline Or Not To Outline?

Mike Sleger chappa-ai at q.com
Thu Jul 28 15:22:59 UTC 2011

On Jul 28, 2011, at 9:11 AM, Gregory Pittman wrote:

> The compelling reason /not/ to outline is that this may prevent your PDF from doing a text search or extracting the text.

I like having the searchable text and so far am opting for embedding instead of subsetting/outlining.

> As far as document size and Scribus, the issue revolves not so much around the memory (excepting images) than it does with the fact that as you edit Scribus redraws the entire document, so it's more of a processor speed issue than memory. It seems that we've had several people report working with large documents lately and not seeing any performance problems, so perhaps with dual (or more) processor and faster machines we have to revise our advisory about document size.

Thanks for clarifying.  I have a quad-core processor, so hopefully the Scribus design architecture takes advantage of multi-threading to the different cores.  But rather than redraw the entire document, why not just redrawing only the visible portion?  If a user is zoomed in to see only a quarter of a page, why redraw the entire document (or even the entire page for that matter)?  Redrawing should only be needed when panning or zooming, excluding the visible area which should always be redrawn.