[scribus] To Outline Or Not To Outline?

Hirwen HARENDAL harendalh at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 28 07:31:25 UTC 2011

Hi

> I've completed my first Scribus document on OS X and went to save it as PDF but none of the fonts will embed.
There are six fonts in the document from two font families, Eurostile Condensed and Helvetica Neue Condensed,
all of which are OpenType PS fonts. Research on Google reveals that PDF 1.4 cannot embed OpenType fonts but
PDF 1.6 can, with outlining generally recommended for preserving the look of the text and not needing the full font
file(s) included in the PDF. If that's the case, then why ever embed fonts? I'm curious what a professional printing
service (and experienced Scribus users) prefers when it comes to fonts and PDF output. All comments are welcome,
and I'll take everything into consideration when doing the final export. Thanks.

** depending more for what the document is :
- for web or reading on screen=> fonts embedded
- for printer or professional edition => outlines

Regards

Hirwen HARENDAL