[scribus] epub from sla? or Scribus versus Lyx

Owen rcook at pcug.org.au
Sun Jul 24 23:59:07 UTC 2011

On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 16:40:03 -0300
Lila Pagola <lilapagola at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I guess this is a topic very well known by everybody in this list, but
> I was searching at list's archives and with Google, and I can't find
> real answers, and that's probably I'm doing the wrong question: Is it
> possible to get a acceptable version in epub format, from a Scribus
> design, or its pdf?
>
> I have being designing books with Scribus since several years, and
> many people related to the projects have recommended me to use Lyx
> instead of Scribus, specially regarding to its capability to easily
> export outputs for different devices.

I am a little late in this thread, but other than what has already been
said, you may wish to consider Publican (most distros have it in their
repositories)

It is the Red Hat documentation vehicle, and has a bit of a steep
learning curve, but the documentation is good

The main advantages of Publican is that you can create html,pdf or epub
and make facilities for translations. (Strangely, the pdf generation
failed on F15, but was ok on Ubuntu-11.04)

I created a "test" epub just to get my head around the program. I
don't have an epub reader, though it "works" in Calibre. You can
download it from http://members.pcug.org.au/~rcook/scribus/Scribus.epub
and feel free to use it as a framework of your own Scribus publications.

In my view, creating epubs is hard work.

Good luck

Owen