[scribus] Problem following the wiki tutorial - section 5

Gregory Pittman gregp_ky at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 20 14:55:37 UTC 2011

On 07/20/2011 10:18 AM, Colin Adams wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm thinking about writing a (free, PDF only) book, and I want it to have
> nice coloured sidebars, and other good presentation, so I'm taking a look at
> Scribus.
>
> I've installed 1.3.9 (as that is what comes by default on Fedora 14), and
> I'm working my way through the Get_Started_With_Scribus tutorial on the
> wiki. No problems until section 5,
> Working With Layers On A Page.
> This says:
>
> "For the moment, make the text frame as wide as the page and nearly double
> the height of the MastheadBand."
>
> I can't find anywhere where that "For the moment ..." becomes, "Now ..." so
> as to synchronize the text with the MastheadBand. I realize I could just
> adjust the X,Y,Z parameters so the text field coincides with the band, but
> if that is the proper thing to do (I assumed there would be some way to
> synchornize the text field with the band), why am i not told to do that? And
> why make the text field initially bigger?

I think the idea was simply to use the mouse to drag the frame to a size
more than big enough for the eventual purpose, then more precisely
resize later. The tutorial makes better sense if you download and open
the SLA file so that you can see the end result.

This is a tutorial which is showing its age, even with the updated
version on the wiki. What it does is introduce a number of concepts of
layout and features of Scribus in a compact form.

Greg